Water damage is a common risk. With low winter temperatures comes the possibility for frozen pipes and, if frozen pipes burst, policyholders may be stuck filing a water damage claim. These tips can help you avoid frozen pipes this winter.
- Keep the thermostat set to the same temperature during the day and night.
- If water supply lines are in the garage, keep garage doors closed.
- If going out of town, leave the heat on, set no lower than 55 degrees Fahrenheit.
When temperatures are extremely cold:
- Leave kitchen and bathroom cabinets open to circulate heat around the plumbing.
- Let cold water drip from faucets that are served by exposed pipes.
Leak detection devices in the laundry room, water heater closet, bathrooms and under the kitchen sink can help alert you to leaks before they become water damage. Consider installing a Wi-Fi-enabled thermostat to manage heat while you are away, and/or a Wi-Fi-enabled water shut-off device to constantly monitor your system for leaks.