Prevent frozen pipes and avoid a water damage claim
Water damage is a common risk. With low winter temperatures comes the possibility for frozen pipes and, if frozen pipes burst, policyholders may be stuck filing a water damage claim. Share these tips with your policyholders to help them avoid frozen pipes this winter.
- Keep the thermostat set to the same temperature during the day and night.
- If water supply lines are in the garage, keep garage doors closed.
- If going out of town, leave the heat on, set no lower than 55 degrees Fahrenheit.
When temperatures are extremely cold:
- Leave kitchen and bathroom cabinets open to circulate heat around the plumbing.
- Let cold water drip from faucets that are served by exposed pipes.
Leak detection devices in the laundry room, water heater closet, bathrooms and under the kitchen sink can help alert the homeowner to leaks before they become water damage. Remind your policyholders of Encova’s discounts for Wi-Fi-enabled loss mitigation devices, and suggest installing a Wi-Fi-enabled thermostat to manage heat while they are away, and/or a Wi-Fi-enabled water shut-off device to constantly monitor their system for leaks.